Friday, January 15, 2016

1902 Shakespeare quiz, Part 2

Now we are heading into true stump-the-Shakespeare-scholar territory, so help with the ones I haven't been able to figure out would be appreciated! I have reproduced the questions exactly as printed, numbering errors and all.

11) What was the name of Falstaff's tailor?
12) What was the name of Mrs. Quickly's spiritual advisor?
13) What was the tale that Imogen read in bed.
14) What did old Capulet think of people who would not dance?
4) What was to have been the menu at Juliet's marriage with the County Paris?
5) What four characters in the plays had blue eyes?
6) What one of Queen Victoria's Prime-ministers is mentioned by his popular name in the plays?
7) What character in the plays, on being accosted by three acquaintances, expresses in his greeting to each, the different degree of his intimacy with them?
8) Differentiate between the finger rings of three gentlemen, two of whom were lovers of noble ladies and the third a reprobate?
9) The wedding gown of a certain noble lady is given in detail in the Plays. Who was the lady, and give the items detailed?

6 comments:

Fretful Porpentine said...

Some answers, and some mystification:

11) Dumbleton, or Dommelton, depending on which edition you consult.
12) ?
13) I had to look this one up, but it's the tale of Philomela and Tereus -- presumably Ovid's version, the same one that Lavinia invokes in Titus. Intertextuality for the win!
14) That they deserve to be humiliated, apparently, because he goes around telling everyone they have corns.
4) We don't get a full menu, but baked meats and date-and-quince pastry are mentioned.
5) No idea -- the only mention of blue eyes that I remember is that Orlando doesn't have them.
6) Per this helpful list of prime ministers' nicknames, I think the likeliest intended answer is Viscount Palmerston, who was known, apparently, as "Lord Cupid." I am sure this was less obscure in 1902!
7) ??
8) ???
9) The Duchess of Milan. As described by Margaret in Much Ado About Nothing, the gown featured "cloth o' gold, and cuts, and laced with silver, set with pearls, down sleeves, side sleeves, and skirts, round underborne with a bluish tinsel."

Flavia said...

Wow. I knew 13 & 14, but no clue on the others. The three rings might be Bassanio, Gratiano, and Shylock (turquoise). I also feel like I know #7--a clownish character like Parolles or Costard or Lavatch.

But damn. These are tough.

Fretful Porpentine said...

My best guess on #7 was Timon, but I'm not sure that's right. I bet you are right about the three rings -- although it occurs to me that most modern readers probably have different views from B.W.H. about exactly WHO qualifies as a reprobate in that play!

Flavia said...

I know! I first assumed Bertram, but couldn't work out a third ring or two lovers of noble ladies.

Fretful Porpentine said...

When I posted this elsewhere, someone pointed out that there might be more than one play involved for the ring question. Way too many possibilities, in that case...

Bardiac said...

Way hard!