Tuesday, January 5, 2010

re-entry

I'm going back to Deep South State tomorrow. Classes start on Monday; I will be traveling to the state capital later that day to help lobby for Misnomer U's continued existence; on Thursday of next week I have to give a 40-minute talk that I haven't written yet. Instead of thinking about this, I shall post one more picture of the nephew-let, because he is adorable, and because it would be nice if we could all spend our days sleeping in a swing:



I'm teaching Basic (a.k.a. remedial) comp this semester, and I haven't got the foggiest idea what to expect -- but at least there are only two students enrolled, so even if I screw things up horribly, I won't be scarring too many people for life. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Wow, he has so much hair already! My youngest niece was bald as a cue ball until after she got some teeth, even.

Go you for lobbying! I hope you melt their hearts and move their minds!

And if you want to know anything about remedial at a cc, from what I've picked up at the tutoring center, let me know...

the rebel lettriste said...

Cute!

I too am available for consult on teaching Basic Writing, if necessary. One piece of advice I'd give you as you prepare your syllabus is this: short readings. Poems, one page mini-essays, short stories. They should be pressed to analyze and closely interrogate texts, but they will have an easier time (as will you) if the texts are brief.

Good luck!

Fretful Porpentine said...

Sisyphus -- Thanks for the offer! I may be in touch...

TRL -- Thanks. Comp here is strictly a writing class, not a literature-based one, so I wasn't planning on assigning much if any reading (apart from the bits of the writing handbook that they absolutely have to read so they know what this "thesis statement" business is all about). In terms of assignments, I'm a big fan of not making extra work for myself, so I was thinking of making it a slower-paced version of the first half of regular freshman comp -- i.e., one "pick an advertisement and analyze how it appeals to a particular audience" paper and one business letter, plus a few shorter descriptive and analytical exercises.