Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How I spent my summer vacation

For Sisyphus, who asked for pictures.

I saw a whole bunch of cathedrals:







and some big rocks:



and some cows:



I went hiking:





and saw some plays:



And drank a few pints of ale, of course. I don't have any pictures of the ale, or of the all-night kebab shop, although they are both Things That Deep South Town Tragically Lacks.

It has been three years since I have done any real traveling (defined as hauling around a big backpack from hostel to hostel, leaving the laptop at home, and doing absolutely nothing work-related whatsoever), and I had forgotten how short two weeks was. There will be more time next summer, I hope.

7 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Yay, pictures!

That's Canterbury there... and some other ones ... don't know which historical cow that is ... the pics are very pretty though.

Now what will you be up to?

Fretful Porpentine said...

Going to the beach with my parents for a couple of weeks, then heading back home and, I hope, doing Actual Work.

Bardiac said...

Yay for pictures! Looks like you had a great time! Way to go!

undine said...

Lovely pictures! This makes me want to go back there.

Susan said...

Yay for vacation and NO LAPTOP! But yes, two weeks is short. But a very good start.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

ooooooooooooh. Beautiful pictures. So jealous. What plays did you see? Hope they were great!

I miss England. I have only been there once, but while there, I decided it's my spiritual homeland. If money were no object, that's where I'd be. Sigh.

Fretful Porpentine said...

Fie Upon This Quiet Life -- I saw the Globe's touring production of The Comedy of Errors (fun!), and also Romeo and Juliet (kinda blah, unfortunately) and As You Like It (terrific). I also saw All's Well That Ends Well at the Royal National Theatre (mostly very good; not my favorite play, though) and Under Milk Wood at the Salisbury Festival (which I don't feel qualified to pronounce upon at all, since I knew nothing about the play before I saw it, but I enjoyed it).