Monday, January 20, 2014

binders of woman


So, yeah. This is it, the moment of truth in every assistant professor's life. The small binder is my actual application for tenure and promotion, the big-ass one is all the supporting documentation. (Mainly: evaluations for every damn course I have ever taught.) I'm surprised it crept up on me so soon. It feels like yesterday that I was applying for this job.

And, you know, I feel surprisingly un-nervous about it all. I've got five years of excellent evaluations from two different chairs, and the general institutional culture at Misnomer U. is that denials are rare and usually for good cause, so I think I'll be OK unless something really wacky happens, like the new provost suddenly deciding to raise the institution's research profile without telling anyone. (OK, I am a tiny bit worried about the new provost.)

But the guy who blew up the microwave oven in the faculty lounge TWICE has tenure. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

3 comments:

Bardiac said...

Thinking good and confident thoughts for you!

Sycorax Pine said...

Congrats! I just finished my application for tenure, and promotion will (knock wood) be in a couple of years. It's such a relief to be done with it, though that feeling is slow in developing.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Good luck! I got a bit if a bait and switch pulled on me at my school. There were no research requirements, and then, there were. I have been keeping on top of it, but still don't have any publications. (Three articles out there in the ether but haven't heard squat.) Anyway, when you're at a small school it can be really confusing figuring out what "they" want. You can't just say someone is qualified for tenure with the "I-know-it-when-I-see-it" philosophy. Ugh.